We are a
After completing the workshop series during early 2008, at the Annual Congregational Meeting held May 18, 2008, the UU Congregation of Greenville overwhelmingly passed a resolution to become recognized as a Welcoming Congregation by the UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association).
The Welcoming Congregaton Program was established by the UUA to help congregations be more inclusive and work toward elimination of prejudice towards bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people.
Long before participating in the workshop series or passing the resolution, UUCG had long considered itself a "welcoming" (with a lowercase "w") congregation. Some notable actions included:
- Treating all members equally regardless of affectional orientation or gender-identity
- Recognizing families regardless of their composition or legal status
- Being the only church in Greenville to perform same-sex union ceremonies
- Performing child dedications recognizing same-sex couples equally as parents
- Electing GLBT people to positions of leadership in the congregation
- Participation in local and statewide Pride events
- Allowing GLBT Community Organizations to use our facilities
- Numerous programs on non-discrimination and marriage equality issues
Greenville Classic GLBT Film Night
Since October 2011, UUCG has been hosting a monthly Classic GLBT Film Night starting at 7pm on the third Friday of each month. We try to vary the theme from month to month
to explore various genres (comedy, drama, documentary, short films) and feature various segments of the community (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, youth, ethnic minorities, etc.).
Most months, the movie is preceded by a series of film trailers from which the audience can vote to determine the next month's movie.
If you're on Facebook, you can get updates by liking the Movie Night Facebook Page. Announcments are also sent
over the church email list, Facebook Page, and announcements.
Future projects that have been discussed include hosting a GLBT and Allies Family Day Picnic and hopes to help start a local chapter of P-FLAG (Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays... but also Bisexual and Transgender inclusive).
- If you are GLBT-identifying or are a "Straight Ally" looking for a spiritual home, we hope you'll consider checking us out!
- If you're not looking for a church to attend, but are looking for an officiant and/or a place to hold a union ceremony, consider us!
- If you're looking for a church where your children will be taught to affirm "the inherent worth and dignity of every person", please consider us!